Salary and Benefits
Effective July 1, 2016, the salary range for a 10-month teaching contract for teachers with a Bachelor's Degree is $43,559 to $75,294. Salaries for all school employees are competitive with neighboring cities in the southeastern region of Virginia. We recognize and reward educational achievement with additional annual salary stipends for higher degrees as follows: Master’s Degree - $2,500; Master’s Degree + 30 credits - $3,300; Doctorate - $4,100.
Our benefits package is comprehensive with a menu of opportunities to fit the specific needs of our diverse work force. We offer health plans, group life insurance, state supported retirement and options to participate in other programs.
Virginia Beach City Public Schools provides effective and timely professional training to all employee groups in addition to assisting with tuition reimbursement for pertinent coursework on a first-come, first-served basis.
Benefit Information 2015-2016
- Health Plans (includes vision and prescription drug plans)
- Dental Plans
- Legal Services Plan
- Identity Theft Protection Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Health Care and Dependent Care)
- Basic Life Insurance (Including Accidental Death and Dismemberment) (no cost to employee)
- Optional Life Insurance (including Accidental Death and Dismemberment)
- Long-Term Care
- Long-Term Disability (not available to VRS Hybrid employees)
- Virginia Local Disability Plan (short-Term Disability; Long-Term Disability; Long-Term Care) (available to VRS Hybrid employees only)
- Employee Assistance Program/Work-Life Services Program (no cost to employee)
- BEWell (Beach Employee Wellness)
- Retirement Pension Plan
- 403(b) Tax Sheltered Accounts
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan (not available to VRS Hybrid employees)
- Defined Contribution Plan (voluntary contributions) (available to VRS Hybrid employees only)
- Personal Reasons Leave (Two days per calendar school year)
- Sick Leave (One day per month with unlimited accrual)
- Sick Leave bank (For unexpected illness or injury)