Policies and Regulations
School Board of the City of Virginia Beach
Application and Approval for Use of School Facilities
This Regulation shall govern the application and approval procedures for all persons or organizations seeking to use any buildings or ground which are maintained and operated by the School Board.
- All persons or groups desiring to use school facilities must submit the proper application.
- Applications will be presented to the principal or facility supervisor for approval or rejection.
- Applications will be submitted at least two (2) weeks prior to use date.
- Applications approved by principals or supervisors will be forwarded to the Office of Business Services for final approval.
- Charges for the use of school facilities will be made in accordance with the fee structure set by the School Board. Dates of payment are indicated on the application form. Certain groups will not be charged a fee for regular meetings. These groups include the PTA/PTSA, school-based booster club, school-based band/orchestra/chorus/athletics parents, city government departments, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, civic leagues within the school zone for regular league meetings that do not exceed 100 people in attendance, and area recreation leagues.
- In accepting an approved facilities use form, the applicant agrees to hold the School Board harmless from any damage or claims arising from the action of the organization, its employees, or its patrons while the facility is in use.
- The sponsoring organization or group will provide the School Board with proof of liability insurance which includes coverage for the planned use of school property. The insurance policy will provide coverage for an hour prior to and an hour after scheduled use. The policy will be at least $1,000,000 combined single limit. The Certificate of Insurance should also name the School Board, its officers, employees, and agents as an additional insured. Civic leagues will not be required to provide proof of liability insurance if facility rental is only for regular membership meetings that do not exceed one hundred persons in attendance.
For fee schedule see School Board Regulation 7-55.1 Fees for Use of School Facilities
See School Board Policy 7-48: Community Use of School Facilities/Generally
See School Board Policy 7-49: Organizations Eligible to Use School Facilities
See School Board Policy 7-55: Fees for Use of School Facilities
Boy Scouts of America Equal Access Act § 9575 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act 1965, as amended by § 901 No Child Left Behind).
Approved by Superintendent: July 16, 1991
Revised by Superintendent: August 14, 1993
Revised by Superintendent: April 16, 1996
Revised by Superintendent: November 17, 2003
Revised by Superintendent: May 23, 2014
Revised by Superintendent: December 2, 2014