School Board of the City of Virginia Beach
Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Race, Color, Sex, Pregnancy and Childbirth, Marital Status, Age, Disability, National Origin, Ethnicity or Religion
The School Board is of the general view that:
1. Discrimination against a qualified person on the basis of race, color, sex, pregnancy and childbirth, marital status, age, disability, national origin, ethnicity or religion is unfair; and
2. To the extent reasonably possible all employees should be in the mainstream of life in a school community.
Under the body of law cited in the legal reference of this policy and implementing regulations thereto a school division receiving federal funds:
1. May not discriminate against qualified persons in any aspect of school division employment on the basis of race, color, sex, pregnancy and childbirth, marital status, age, disability, national origin, ethnicity or religion.
2. Must make facilities accessible and usable to all employees.
3. Must provide all employees with the same health, welfare and other social services.
C. Employee Compliance
School Board employees will comply with the preceding requirements of the law and with any regulations approved by the School Board to ensure this policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, pregnancy and childbirth, marital status, age, disability, national origin, ethnicity or religion.
D. Compliance Officer
The superintendent will designate an individual or individuals to act as the division's compliance officers. This officer(s) is referred to as the Title IX/Section 504/ADA Coordinator.
All employees will be notified of the name, office address and telephone number of the designee(s).
Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. (Regulation 86.6 . . .) Adoption of grievance procedures. (b) Complaint procedure of recipient.
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. 34 C.F.R. Section 104.7 (a) and (b).
Virginia Human Rights Act, Virginia Code § 2.7-3900.
Pregnancy Discrimination Act of 1978.
Equal Pay Act of 1963.
Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title vii).
Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1976.
Adopted by School Board: July 13, 1993 (Effective August 14, 1993)
Amended by School Board: June 8, 2004