Steps to Obtaining Substitute Employment
- Complete an official VBCPS Employment Application, available at www.vbschools.com.
- When you create your application, you should select Substitute for applicant type.
- On the Employment Preferences Screen, be sure to select at least one category, for example Custodian, Teacher, etc.
* (See bottom of this document for a list of substitute employment preferences)
- Bus Driver Substitutes and Bus Assistant Substitutes ONLY: After completing your employment application, you may be contacted by the Department of Transportation Services if you are selected for substitute employment consideration. If you have questions, please contact them directly at 263-1545.
- Custodian Substitutes ONLY: After completing your employment application, you may be contacted by the Office of Custodial Services if you are selected for substitute employment consideration. If you have questions, please contact them directly at 263-2600.
- Food Services Substitutes ONLY: After completing your employment application, you may be contacted by the Department of Food Services if you are selected for substitute employment consideration. If you have questions, please contact them directly at 263-1101.
- Teacher Substitutes and Other Classified Substitutes ONLY – (Clerical Substitutes, Clinic Assistant and School Nurse Substitutes, Teacher Assistant Substitutes including: Kindergarten, General, Library Assistant, Security, PE Assistant, Special Education and Distance Learning Assistants) please follow these steps:
- Teacher Substitutes ONLY:
- Teacher substitutes must also complete the Child Abuse and Neglect Training (CANT) to be eligible for employment consideration. This training, which takes about one hour to complete, is available at no charge through web-based instruction at http://www.dss.virginia.gov/family/cps/mandated_reporters/cwse5691/story.html. Upon completion of the training, you should print your certificate to use as verification of having met the requirement.
- Teacher Substitutes and Other Classified Substitutes ONLY: Complete and print your Substitute Hiring Documents.
Only after at least three of your references have been returned (you can check by logging in to your Employment Application) bring the following items with you to the Human Resources Department on the appropriate day. Note that one reference must be from a former/current supervisor. Please see the Fingerprint Demographics Form in the Substitute Hiring Documents for the schedule. The Human Resources Department is located in the School Administration Building, Building 6, 2512 George Mason Drive, Virginia Beach, VA 23456.
- Completed Substitute Hiring Documents
- Required form(s) of identification as defined in the Employment Eligibility Form I-9
- Results of a completed Tuberculosis test or screening that has taken place within the past twelve (12) months
- Personal Check or Money Order made out to “VBCPS” in the amount of $35.00. Please do not bring cash. (This covers your fingerprint and Virginia Child Protective Services background checks. If you have lived outside of Virginia within the last five years, you must provide an additional Child Protective Services form, available in our office, from each state in which you resided. Please note: for applicants who have lived in certain states, additional money orders – no checks, no cash - may be required. Please see the Out of State Registry sheet in the Substitute Hiring Documents for details.)
- For Teacher Substitutes only. If you have not scanned copies of your transcripts indicating at least 60 college semester credit hours into your VBCPS Employment Application, then please bring a copy with you as well.
- Upon final review of your documents, we will offer you fingerprinting services. After submitting your fingerprints, we will schedule you to attend a Substitute Onboarding Session.
- Nurse substitutes must meet all of the same requirements as contracted nurses, as described on the VBCPS job description.
- Please note: the processing time for approval to work may take up to 2 - 3 weeks after completing Substitute Onboarding.
Please bring the following required documents with you:
Substitute TEACHER applicants
- Effective July 1, 2009, minimum educational requirements will be 60 semester credit hours from an accredited institution. If you have not attached a copy to your employment application, then a copy of your transcripts will be required when the substitute hiring documents are submitted.
- Salary: The daily rate of pay for substitutes are as follows: Teacher Daily Substitute (Non-Licensed) is $89.00, Site Assigned Designated Teacher Substitute (Non-Licensed) is $91.50 and both the Teacher Daily Substitute (Licensed) and Site Assigned Designated Teacher Substitute (Licensed) is $99.00. The daily rate of pay for Long Term Substitute Teachers is $124.32. In order to qualify for long term substitute teacher pay, you must possess or be eligible to possess a Virginia Teaching License in the subject areas you are hired to teach and also substitute in the same position for a minimum of 21 consecutive days.
- Approved substitute teachers may also be eligible for the following positions
- AVID Tutor
- Homebound Teacher
- SOL Tutors
*Substitute CLASSIFIED employment preferences include:
- Bus Assistant
- Bus Driver
- Cafeteria Assistant
- Clinic Assistant (LPN, CNA, EMT and Basic Life Support BLS CPR/AED for Healthcare Providers certification: CPR/AES training must be a hands on training course)
- Nurse (RN, Basic Life Support BLS CPR/AED for Healthcare Providers certification: CPR/AES training must be a hands on training course)
- Other Assistant (Can include the following positions)
- Distance Learning Assistant
- Security Assistant
- Teacher Assistant (Can include the following positions)
- General Assistant
- Kindergarten Assistant
- Library/Media Assistant
- PE Assistant
- Special Education Assistant