Skip to main content
Quick Links
We put students first, seek growth, are open to change, do great work together and value differences.
2512 George Mason Drive • P.O. Box 6038 Virginia Beach, Virginia 23456-0038   757.263.1000 • 757.263.1240 TDD

School Guidance/Counseling Program

Requesting Student Records

As a parent, how do I request student records for my child who is currently enrolled in Virginia Beach City Public Schools?

Parents of students who are under 18 years of age (or eligible students) may obtain copies of education and/or health records directly from the school where their child is currently enrolled. There is a minimal fee to obtain student records. However, there is never a fee charged to obtain a copy of a student’s Individualized Education Program (IEP).

Please note that in accordance with federal and state laws, special education records are main­tained only for five years after a student withdraws or graduates from school. Special education record contents may include: IEPs, psychological  assessments, social histories, triennial evaluations, eligibility review meeting notes and any other documents related to the eligibility review process for special education services. A permanent academic record containing the student’s name, address, phone number, grades, attendance record and year of graduation or withdrawal is maintained for 75 years.  

As a former Virginia Beach City Public Schools’ student, how can I obtain copy of my transcript?

To request a copy of your school transcript, SAT scores or immunization record, please be advised that your records may no longer be housed at the last Virginia Beach school attended. Generally, the elementary and middle schools keep student records a minimum of two years and a maximum of five years, whereas the high schools maintain their records for only two to three years. Former students or parents/guardians of students who are under the age of 18, are required to complete, sign and date the Records Release Form for Former Students.

There is a $5 fee per document and requests will be processed within 14 working days upon receipt of completed signed release and payment. Payment is by check or money order only. No credit or debit cards are accepted. Payment must accompany the Records Release Form and can be mailed to the address listed on the form. It is imperative that the information submitted is accurate and legible. Your request will stay on file with the Student Records Office for 90 days. If you have any questions regarding student records or would like a Records Release Form mailed directly to you, please call 757.263.1980 between the hours of 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday thru Friday. The Student Records Office is not open on Saturday or Sunday. You may leave a voice message at 757.263.1980 and your call will be returned as soon as possible.

I am a graduate of Virginia Beach City Public Schools in need of a copy of my high school diploma. Who should I contact?

Graduates of Virginia Beach City Public Schools needing to order a duplicate or replacement high school diploma should complete and submit this form. A money order for 96 cents made payable to Herff Jones must accompany this request. Allow at least 45 days for receipt of the replacement diploma.

How can I obtain a copy of my GED Certificate?

Persons who have taken the GED exam in Virginia Beach can request a copy of their transcript and/or certificate through one of the following methods:

Access Web Site:; select GED Transcript Request option, print and complete appropriate request form and with payment submit to address indicated for copy of transcript or certificate.
Email: for more information.

Send request form with payment (for transcripts) to:

Adult Learning Center
4160 Virginia Beach Boulevard
Virginia Beach, VA 23452
VA Department of Education (for certificates) to:
Office of Adult Education and Literacy
P.O. Box 2120
Richmond, VA 23216-2120

Phone: Adult Learning Center:

VA Department of Education:
757.648.6050, ext. 64600
Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Monday – Thursday, 6:30 – 8 p.m.


Access to Student Records
Federal/State/School Division Guidelines

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords parents and students over 18 years of age (“eligible students”) certain rights with respects to the student’s education records.

School Board policies and accompanying regulations pertinent to student records include:
School Board Policies 5-31
and 5-66 and Regulations 5-31.1, 5-31.2, and 5-66.1.


Last Modified on Friday, January 20, 2017