The Entrepreneurship and Business Academy at Kempsville High School welcomes all students who are considering careers in the field of business.
The Academy offers three strands of study: Entrepreneurship and Innovation, Business Information Technology and Corporate Finance. Through studies within their selected strand, students will be exposed to multiple dual enrollment credit opportunities, including paths leading to a student’s ability to earn his/her associate degree in business administration before graduating from high school. All students will complete an intensive senior internship experience leading them to be college and career ready when they graduate from Virginia Beach City Public Schools.
Goals of the Academy
Students enrolled in the academy will:
- successfully complete a sequential program of study that focuses on specific skills, knowledge and technology in the fields of entrepreneurship, business information technology and corporate finance;
- have opportunities to earn an associate degree/post-secondary credit;
- exceed the objectives of Virginia Beach City Public Schools curricula and the Commonwealth of Virginia Standards of Learning tests;
- participate in job shadowing, mentoring, and/or internship programs that extend, enrich, and refine student learning and create linkages with the academic and business communities; and
- complete a long-term project through an internship/mentorship experience with a culminating presentation and digital portfolio in the senior year featuring an in-depth study of an issue of related concern to their related industry and present ideas/solutions as viable options to address the issue to a panel of business and community leaders.
The following courses are required of all students enrolled in the Academy, and students will take additional required and elective courses in their selected strand of study:
- Introduction to Entrepreneurship, Business and Information Technology
- Critical Issues in Business Seminar
- Idea Generation and Creative Problem Solving
- Academy Honors English 9
- Academy Honors English 10
- Academy Honors English 11 or AP English Language and Composition
- Dual Enrollment English 12 or AP English Literature and Composition
- World Studies for Business
- Advanced Placement Economics or Economics and Personal Finance
- AP Statistics or Dual Enrollment Calculus
During their ninth-grade year, students will select one of the following three specialized strands to study the remainder of their high school years.
Strand I: Entrepreneurship & Innovation
Students who select to study within the Entrepreneurship & Innovation strand will be exposed to the design thinking process and the Babson College approach to Entrepreneurial Thought and Action®. Babson College is ranked as the No. 1 undergraduate business program for entrepreneurship by U.S. News and World Report. This strand heavily utilizes the MakerSpace constructed within the academy allowing students to think, create, design and construct their ideas into action.
Strand II: Business Information Technology
Students who study in the Business Information Technology strand will study Advanced Computer Systems and Computer Science in addition to having the opportunity to study in depth in a two year program at the VBCPS Advanced Technology Center.
Strand III: Corporate Finance
Students who study in this strand will engage in the world of finance. Students will study Accounting and Business Finance courses in addition to pursuing multiple Dual Enrollment courses to receive an Associate’s Degree in Business Administration from Tidewater Community College.
For additional information contact Ms. Meghan Timlin, Entrepreneurship and Business Academy coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Class of 2020
"Through the Entrepreneurship and Business Academy I have been able to participate in programs, that have helped me figure out what I want to be and what I want to do with my life. The programs have helped me determine a path of success for my future entrepreneurial goals and helped me figure out how to turn my passion into a reality which is to eventually own a publishing company. I am exceptionally excited for what else the Entrepreneurship and Business Academy has to offer!"