Skip to main content
Quick Links

We put students first, seek growth, are open to change, do great work together and value differences.

Website Accessibility

2512 George Mason Drive • P.O. Box 6038 Virginia Beach, Virginia 23456-0038   757.263.1000 • 757.263.1240 TDD

Budget Breakdown: The Lowdown on Your School Dollars

Throughout the budget development season, anyone interested in the status of the VBCPS budget can visit this page to get the latest updates as well as any needed reference materials. To read the 2018-2019 School Board Proposed Operating Budget, click on the thumb nail image below.

Estimate Of Needs Operating Budget

piechart1 sept dec jan feb mar may

Total Budget

Virginia Beach City Public Schoolsí Total Budget for the 2017-18 fiscal year, including local, state, federal, other and one-time funds is roughly $860.8 million. The breakdown of sources of this funding is seen below:

Operating Budget

87.7 percent of the Total Budget is the School Operating Budget (categorical grants and other funds make up the rest). The School Operating Budget covers five categories Ė note that the primary focus of the School Operating Budget is instruction, which receives 75.7 percent of operating funds.

84 percent of the School Operating Budget pays for personnelís salaries and benefits. The remaining 16 percent must cover the divisionís costs, including fuel for buses, utilities, instructional supplies and maintenance of facilities.

Last Modified on Tuesday, May 8, 2018